Background

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Serving - Catching Up....

Whatnot Stuff:

Router is back up and running. No more dial-up. Yea! Been a rather bit of a rough week - my mom tore her tendon under her left foot a few months ago - it's not healing as it should - plus her ankle is deteriorating - she has to have surgery - which means her recovery time is 2-3 months, minimum - she won't be able to do stairs so she will be housebound during that time - which will be very difficult for her as she is very active and hates being home all the time - since we have to go down a flight of stairs to our apartment, the logistics may turn into a nightmare as she will have to have follow-up appointments and physical therapy (especially since I will be the one coordinating a lot of stuff and we can't afford to move right now). She also needs to have cataract surgery so that will be done first if possible. And I am finally with a medical group that I might be able to have my own medical problem (menorrhagia) dealt with - I meet with the doctor early next month - and I am scared beyond the moon - I hate the idea of surgery for many reasons - plus I have a bad back and shoulder due to a work injury from years ago and my own right knee/ankle are not in that good of shape (thanks genetics) - so I've got a heck of a lot on my mind right now as I am very concerned about my ability to help take care of her. I don't mean to vent so much but I just need to get my thoughts out there so to speak just to try to help relax a bit.

Anyways, on to this month's NaBloPoMo theme - Serve. I want to try to be more diligent in posting on the daily theme (as well as keeping up with my stitching and whatnot stuff so I hope no one will be too bored). I am going to answer the first 4 days worth of questions in this post (don't worry, it won't become a book - maybe a chapter or 3 ;) So here goes:


Monday, September 2, 2013
Do you enjoy doing volunteer work? Is there anywhere you volunteer right now?

Yes for the most part. Like any job, it has it's ups and downs but as long as I maintain a strong work ethic, it's all good experience. No, not at the moment - too many family obligations.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Some high schools require community service for graduation. Do you think there should be a national community service requirement for all students?

I think it's beneficial for children / teenagers to be amongst other cultures and perspectives (morally and safely) that are different from their own. In growing up, my parents really encouraged this with my siblings and I and it has made quite a difference in our lives in many different areas. As to making it mandatory, it would depend upon the parameters involved as not everyone has the means or may have other outstanding obligations that take precedence.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013
What has been your favourite volunteer work to date?

Definitely volunteering at a local zoo and natural history museum. Got to work with so many different animals, exhibits, and people - loved every minute of it - except for when that llama spit in my face and having to chase the goats around.

Thursday, September 5, 2013
Mohandas Gandhi said, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." What have you discovered about yourself by volunteering?

Underneath, most people are very similar and the more we take a chance to at least learn a bit about another perspective - even if we disagree with it - it opens our eyes, minds, and hearts more. Everyday life can be stifling at times as is - we are not meant to be stagnant.

No comments: