Background

Friday, August 16, 2013

My Pillow....

and I are becoming rather well acquainted of late. Been a rough week physically for me and now I've come down with a bit of a viral thing - stupid fever and feeling weak at times. Right now I'm pumped up on extra strength Tylenol (can't take aspirin) and a bit of allergy medicine. Also munching on ice cubes. It comes and goes which is even more irritating.

At least I have some things and people to keep me entertained. I've read 2 of The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun. Kind of like Murder She Wrote stories except with a couple of cats that help solve the crimes. Very lighthearted and easy reads. Really about all my braincell can handle when I get to feeling really bad. I've ordered 3 more from the library. I've always enjoyed this series. Even inspired me to adopt a Siamese cat one time (didn't work out but found him a lovely forever home) - and I'm definitely more of a dog lover by nature. Although many years ago, we did have a cat for about 4 years. She was wonderful. And a royal pain. We were well matched in that aspect.

As for the people keeping me entertained, the apartment complex we live on is on the top of a hill. The main road and cross-road down below our complex leads to a large shopping mall within about 3-4 blocks of us. There are homes and other apartments around us, including a senior group and assisted living. Starting down towards the shopping center are some regular office buildings. I mention all this as we get a lot of traffic going by at times, including foot traffic once in awhile.

There is a gentleman with some health issues that every so often likes to stand on the street corner near where I live and bellow at the passing traffic - LET'S GO!!!!! LET'S GO!!!!!! He will do this over and over again for anywhere between 5-15 minutes then it gets very quiet. This only happens maybe every 4-6 weeks.

Well, earlier this evening as I was laying in bed at a time I was feeling particularly bad, and was trying to distract myself by watching a dvd with the volume on the low side, the window open due to the heat and humidity, all of a sudden I hear - SINGING, very loud SINGING!!!! He does have a good voice. I thought o.k., this is different but at least he sounds happy. Then that is when a motorcycle zoomed by. It sounded like it was traveling rather quickly too. Too fast for the likes of the gentleman.

For the next thing I knew, he started cussing out the motorcyclist at the top of his lungs - very colorfully, intermixed with, ARE YOU TRYING TO HIT ME??!?!??!?!! - more cussing. Then the SINGING started again. For about 30 seconds. Until another motorcyclist went by too fast. During this time, he must have hit the crosswalk button - which has an audible sound for those who are handicapped and can't see. It sounds like a very loud cuckoo bird chirping.

CUCKOO, YOU BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP, SINGING, CUCKOO, STOP TRYING TO HIT ME, YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST, BLEEP BLEEP CUCKOO BLEEP BLEEP CUCKOO and then SINGING and CUCKOOing slowly fading away as he went on to wherever he was going.

By this time, I was ready to hit the cough syrup because I couldn't help but laugh and got into a coughing fit!

I swear I do not make this stuff up. Then again, maybe you just had to be here.

I'm going back to bed.

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Sure hope you are feeling better. This story reminds me of the video on youtube with Kristen Chenowith Apt something. She is stuck between an opera singer, and a scat singer. You will enjoy it...Feel good!