Background

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reading Marathon....

Been on a bit of a reading marathon. In the past 24 hours, I've read 2 books.

First one I read was:

Summary: This compelling true tale offers a striking look inside a hidden Amish community as a woman comes to terms with her discontent and ultimately leaves her family, faith, and the sheltered world of her childhood. She bravely crosses over to a new and unfamiliar reality in hopes of better understanding her emotional and spiritual desires. The result is a powerful and inspiring story -- a search for meaning and the extraordinary lessons learned along the way.

It was pretty much what I expected - I've read on Amish life before so I wasn't too surprised at the severity of how things were for her. What is sad is the letters from home she would share with the readers and the effects of the temperament of her father on everyone in his life.




Second read was: 

Summary: "Drawing from a lifetime of lessons learned, seven-time Emmy winner Betty White's wit and wisdom take center stage as she tackles topics like friendship, romantic love, aging, television, fans, love for animals, and the brave new world of celebrity. If You Ask Me mixes her thoughtful observations with humorous stories from a seven- decade career in Hollywood"--Publisher's description.

This was a cute and very quick read - I had no idea she has already written 5 other books besides this one. What really impressed me is that she writes out all her manuscripts in longhand! Apparently her first love (besides animals and her deceased husband, Allen) is writing. I think that's wonderful. But then I adore this lady so I guess maybe I'm a bit jaded.




I have 2 books lined up to read next but will have to make another post for those. Stupid Blogger won't format properly :(

No comments: