Background

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Dreaming Of Leafy Things....

The older I get, the more I miss being around nature. Funny saying that since I live in the Pacific NW region - we are surrounded by gorgeous nature areas. But I am talking closer to home. At our little hobbit apartment. We get sunlight from the east in the morning - over the carports and into one bedroom and one living-room window, then a slanted version of sunlight from the north during the afternoon towards twilight through our patio door - once it makes it past the bushes, buildings, and patio fence. We get a touch more sun in our kitchen window (all 18"x 22" or thereabouts of it - did I mention it is put in backwards so one needs a basketball superstar's arm-length to reach the opening mechanism - we leave it closed) oh for about 30 more minutes than the patio door. The other bedroom gets the leftover vapors from the sun - it's under the stairwell walkway above to the upstairs apartments (so is our next door neighbor's kitchen window - at least she can open hers). As you can imagine, we grow a lovely moss garden out in the patch of dirt beyond our patio cement base. We've tried plants on the patio fence but the wind and neighborhood cats love to lay/knock/disturb them so we gave that up.

What am I dreaming of you ask (after all that rambling above)? A garden. A small but beautiful garden. It will have to be one that has easy access to tend to (back injury from work a long time ago). Think raised beds on platform shoes. Containers on wheel bases. That sort of thing. I love to look through garden plans at sites like Better Homes & Gardens (not affiliated with them, just like the info - they have some delightful plans and concepts to browse through -

I am listing a few here for me to refer back to and to share:

Grow Vegetables In Containers

Garden Plans - Attract Birds & Butterflies

Vegetable Garden Plans

The library recently had a new book put into their system - Gardening For Seniors - so I looked on Amazon.com and found a couple more that look good for reference - plus I want to encourage my mom to get back into gardening more (she does want to):

 


It might seem kind of strange to be dreaming of this stuff in the midst of summer - but so many people I know are harvesting detectible items and discussing what worked, what didn't - not being a year-around gardener (unless taking care of an African Violet and a Shamrock plant counts), stuff like this is probably talked about all time - and well, it only encourages me more!

I would love to also have an indoor Aero garden to grow tomatoes year around (again, no affiliation).

My dream garden would include:

Tomatoes, carrots, watermelon, corn, snap-peas, green-beans, chickpeas, celery, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, potatoes, garlic, onions, green onions, pumpkins, apples, oranges, tangerines, peaches, plums, apricots, lemons, limes, bell peppers, other not too hot peppers, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries (small shrub types) - all sorts of flowers (not sure of the exact types except 1 - California wild golden poppies) oh and maybe some sunflowers - this would not be an extensively big garden - definitely on the small side but with a nice variety of things my family enjoys and can eat (due to allergies). I am just so glad that there are many varieties out now that can be grown on a smaller scale, some in containers, or that are multipurpose (such as apple trees grafted with more than one type).

Now I'm in the mood for a good fruit salad!

No comments: